By Faith Taylor
Annie Pearce and Brian Kleiner conducted a study for the World Health Organization and the National Institute of Occupational Safety and Health to gain a better understanding about whether "green" projects are also safe projects.
The goal of this investigation was to evaluate potential mechanisms that can be used to leverage growing trends in green construction to address OSH risks associated with green projects. The objective of this study was to answer the following research questions as a step toward that end:
- Is there evidence to support the assertion that green projects pose greater risks or new hazards to occupational safety and health?
- What role(s) do rating systems play in the delivery of green projects?
- Do existing rating systems explicitly address OSH?
- Do existing rating systems indirectly encourage the use of technologies and practices that pose higher risk to workers involved with green buildings?
- What are the ways in which rating systems can be leveraged to address OSH risks in green projects?
Download a full version of the report HERE